[TowerTalk] Measuring electrical length of coax...

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Thu Jul 14 12:45:27 EDT 2005

I found that a good method is to use the MFJ259/269 as
an RF source driving a 50 ohm pad in parallel with the
open stub under test using a T-connector. I connect the
output of the pad to a spectrum analyzer (you could also
use a general coverage receiver, but it would be less
convenient as you would have to tune the receiver to track
the signal). This method provides a very sharp null at the
resonant frequency of the stub.  I cut long, determine the
resonant frequency of the first-cut stub, and then calculate
how much I need to trim off to move the stub resonance
up to the frequency where I want it centered. Works great.