[TowerTalk] Matched "Bury Flex" cables

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 14 14:00:49 EDT 2005

At 07:04 AM 7/14/2005, Keith Dutson wrote:
>John W0UN wrote:
> >Solid dielectric is much more controllable, but I even measure the actual
>phase shift for each delay line of solid dielectric coax, if the application
>is critical.
>
>For HF, the delay is likely not critical.  From reading the ARRL Antenna
>Book I understand phase errors up to 30 degrees for antenna phasing have
>small effects on radiation pattern and TOA.
>
>73, Keith NM5G

Indeed, phase errors of tens of degrees aren't going to have a huge effect,
however, a transmission line length change of 30 degrees might have a
radiated phase change much different. The reason is that you're not just
using the coax as a delay line, because neither end is a well matched load.
(Even if the individual antenna is a nice 50 ohm load when tested by
itself.) The impedance transforming effect also comes into play.  At the
junction point, neither coax is going to present a nice 50 ohms, but both
will present  some reactive impedance, likely quite different, so the
currents will distribute unevenly.