[TowerTalk] Tower Down Due To Cindy Tell Ne What You Think, Be Nice

Jim jclark6 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 15:30:17 EDT 2005

Here is my story. Cindy took down my ROHN BX tower and laid it in my
neighbors yard. I only had a VHF antenna on the tower so no big deal. I just
had the insurance adjuster here and he is telling me I need an estimate to
repair or replace. I was a estimator for 25 years but he wouldn't take mine.
I already have one from RS MEANS which is twice what mine was so I will give
him what he wants. I am trying to find a company locally ( New Orleans ) or
on the Internet who can provide an estimate. If anyone knows of one please
pass it on.

What I have learned. I can cut the the Tower at my property line and the
sections on my neighbors property are their problem. I would never do this
and didn't believe it when the adjuster told me this. I verified it with my
agent, what a great way to get even with complaining neighbors, now the
tower you hated is yours to deal with. Even better when they sue it is
considered an act of God and they have no recourse. Sounds wrong but both
the agent and adjuster verified it. If I were serious about leaving the
tower in the neighbors yard I would check with a real Lawyer.

If I replace it the insurance will pay, if I don't they will depreciate the
value before cash out. No brainier replace.

The agent was talking about using existing sections for rebuild, so I will
cut it at the property line and tell the insurance company to ask the
neighbor for the sections as per his statement that the sections on their
property are their problem. I will remove the sections for to my neighbors
for a $1.00 them a buy them a beer.

This is my plan and I am sure that it has so many holes it will never work
and I will end up losing money and friends.

The one good thing is that if Cindy had reached Hurricane force the
deductible would of been $3700.00 instead of $1000.00. If Cindy had become a
Hurricane the dropped back to Tropical Storm or Windstorm it would still
come under Hurricane deductible.

I am sure that this is old news to many but please feel free to correct, and
pass on information.

This is fun for me as I wasn't gone to replace the tower but the rules seem
to encourage me to do just that, so I will play their game instead of just
cleaning up and forgetting the tower. The other advantage I am in no hurry
for a insurance settlement.

--
73 De Jim N5TJZ

If you own Collins Amp 30L-1 SN 29068 Contact me