[TowerTalk] Cage Vertical

Peter Forbes prforbes at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jul 18 06:17:17 EDT 2005

Hi Peter,

I have been reading the discussion regarding cages - very interesting.

What really interests me is your comment about using a SteppIR as top

Currently, I am using a 52 foot free standing tower with a 204BA and 5 el
18-30mhz log periodic and am shunt feeding the tower with an omega match.

All cables, beams, rotator, switching relays etc. run down the centre of the
tower and exit at the bottom and into a large box which contains all cable
terminations etc.  as well as the tuning unit for 160mx.

I am currently replacing all this with a SteppIR antenna on top.    So far,
I have run shielded control cable for the SteppIR underground  (about 90
feet) to the terminating box where it is terminated, and intended running
the shielded cable up the tower centre.

What I am wondering, is did you take any extra precautions other than the
cable shielding to reduce any chance of RF pickup on the SteppIR motors,
whilst operating shunt feed on 160mx.?

I know that the rotator control leads pick up a small amount of RF, but not
sufficient to worry me, but was wondering what effect might occur on the
SteppIR.  I know that simply adding RF capacitor bypassing might cause
problems to the steppir motor pulses, as might adding toroids for
suppression.

I have searched the SteppIR archives, but you are the first I have seen who
has mentioned shunt feeding.

Power level is a solid 400 watts, so there is quite a deal of RF floating
around.

I would be nterested in your ideas Peter.

Cheers

Peter   VK3QI