[TowerTalk] NVIS

Bill Axelrod bill at axelrods.org
Fri Jul 22 18:29:13 EDT 2005

This is a very interesting thread.  The technical discussion regarding what
constitutes a NVIS antenna, what makes it efficient, how to best deploy and
employ a NVIS antenna, etc. is wonderful and helps all of us who have an
interest in towers and antennas.

But, I must take exception to the remainder of this email.  And, while I
don't like to get into these discussions, I must in this case.

There are many of us with tall towers, stacked beams, etc.  But, I suggest
that there are many more of us with dipoles at 35' or with towers only 70'
tall, for a variety of reasons too diverse to catalog here.  We, too, are
hams.  We, too, chase DX.  And you would be surprised just how well we can
hear DX.  I am not the only little pistol chasing DX with a wire antenna at
35'.  And I am not the only little pistol who has achieved DXCC on all the 8
bands 80 through 10 meters in a relatively short period of time.

So, to assert that 'Guys with dipoles at 35' can barely hear DX' or that
'guys with arrays at 70'  are only
barely competitive' is simply off the mark and dismisses out of hand many of
us to subscribe to this reflector.

Sure, we little pistols can't hear the DX as well as the hams who are big
guns.  And, sure, some of us, a minority I might add, are guilty as charged.
But, it is equally off the mark is to assert that these are the only guys
who call and call and call.  I've been a ham 49 years so far, and I hear a
fair share of big guns do this very same thing.

I suggest we keep this discussion to the technical issues.  Even we little
pistols benefit from that.  And then more of our community benefits.  We
should want that - we should be inclusive, not exclusive.

Guess you touched a nerve.  ...-.-

73...   Bill K3WA