[TowerTalk] NVIS antennas Re: dumbing down

ersmar@comcast.net ersmar at comcast.net
Fri Jul 22 23:41:13 EDT 2005

TT:

     The distortion that is mentioned below and in (the poorly edited) QST article is actually alleged multi-path interference.   The explanation I've read in a couple of sources is thus:

     When an NVIS antenna is set up to communicate with another station within the ground-wave zone (defined in the sources as within 20-40 miles or so from the transmitter for NVIS signals up to about 10 MHz), the different path lengths (longer ionospheric NVIS vs shorter ground wave paths) can cause destructive interference of the combined signals at the receiving station.  The use of a low NVIS antenna results, so the theory goes, in a diminished ground wave signal at the RX, thus allowing the RX to hear the NVIS signal unencumbered by multipath interference.

     My principal interest in NVIS antennas is for RACES and MARS work on HF.  I found a good now-out-of-print source on the technique in "Near Vertical Incidence Skywave Communication: Theory, Techniques and Validation" by Fiedler and Farmer.   It was available from Worldradio Books, P.O. Box 189490, Sacramento, CA  95818.  Cost me $14 plus a coupla bucks P&H.  The articles are reprints from military and non-amateur researchers, and well as from hams, on the technique.  The measurements done in Thailand are mentioned in the book.

     One final item.  Here's a site http://www.co.missoula.mt.us/acs/NVIS%20EZNEC.htm that includes a bunch of EZNEC studies of various NVIS antenna configurations, including the military AS-2259 (two crossed dipole inverted V wire antennas with feed point at 15 feet.)

     FWIW.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F