[TowerTalk] dumbing down

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Fri Jul 22 23:51:49 EDT 2005

> >August QST, page 35, has a very well written four page
> >antenna construction article. It unfortunately has a very
> >simple basic point wrong. The authors based the
construction
> >on the incorrect assumption a small horizontal loop
antenna
> >radiates a vertically polarized omni-directional signal.
Of
> >course it doesn't have vertical polarization. It radiates
an
> >omni-directional horizontally polarized signal!
>
> I think that that specific example is more a case of poor
editing.  I read
> it as meaning that the radiation pattern (ignoring
polarization) of the
> loop is basically the same as a dipole (i.e. that
symmetric
> donut).

They very clearly claim the radiation is the **same** as
from a vertical dipole in the third paragraph, not the
"pattern". They repeat that error in "how it works".

That is incorrect. A horizontal loop has an  omnidirectional
*horizontally polarized pattern*. It is similar to a
vertical dipole but with electric and magnetic fields being
interchanged.