[TowerTalk] NVIS Antennas

doc kd4e at verizon.net
Fri Jul 22 23:57:31 EDT 2005

Given that we have for decades communicated with subs using
miles of buried antennas, and folks like G3BDQ and others have
experimented with buried Ham antennas, one is well-advised to
avoid absolute declarations about what does and does not work
always and forever ... at least you won't hear that from this
"expertise-challenged" corner!

QSO's have been had between a Ham loading up a light bulb and
someone at the other end with a simple dipole.  Once at the
Seminary Club station I was chatting with a fellow in NZ who
asked me to ragchew a moment while he "tried something" ...
turned out that he was hearing me better "long path" due to
the vertical I was using, the band, and the conditions!

Who wudda thunk it, the signal went further and was heard
better.  Science attempts to predict but sometimes there
are variables that man doesn't plug into the equation and
thus the calculations don't match the reality.  Doesn't
make the scientific process defective, just shows that the
practitioners (me, y'all, and all y'all) are not omniscient!

;-)  doc

--
Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e

           |_|___|_|