[TowerTalk] ]wire rope source for MA770 Tower

K8RI on Tower talk k8ri-tower at charter.net
Sat Jul 23 14:13:42 EDT 2005

As a personal opinion I'd never purchase any "unrated" cable for a use that
involves safety.  IE... Guy wire, cable for cranking up and down towers,
safety lines...etc.

The ratings for wire cable vary widely.
Some time back I helped a ham put up a small tower. It only used the Radio
Shack guy wire they sell in 50 and 100 foot coils (2 50 foot coils that
haven't been cut apart).  Although this stuff is very soft and not terribly
strong, it really was suficient for his use.

One piece caught on something (don't remember what now) as we were walking
the tower up.  It caught when the tower was at roughtly the 40 degree spot
so no one really noitced.  We ended up pulling that guy wire right in two.
That meant its breaking strength was only a couple hundred pounds and that
was the larger size they sell.

Wire rope sold in hardware stores also varies in strength although they
*usually* have the ratings for the brands sold.  It's usually much nicer to
work with than EHS due to the flexibility, but it has no where near the same
strength.  I've used galvanized versions of it on smaller towers for years.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com