[TowerTalk] remote station protection

Jim Jarvis jimjarvis at comcast.net
Sat Jul 23 20:22:17 EDT 2005

Doc wrote:

Can someone discuss the complications of implementing something like
this in a high lightning area like central Florida?

Despite full PolyPhaser protection I still like to physically disconnect
the rig when the heavy storms blow in -- something I could not do with a
remote site.

-0-

The answer is serious disconnects on all lines.  It means relays that both
disconnect lines and ground radio I/O & pwr.  Not to forget rotor control &
cet.
Even with that, there's an element of risk in running a remote site.

It's an interesting project to engineer, though, and I, for one, am looking
forward to reading details of N8lp's setup.

n2ea
jimjarvis at ieee.org