[TowerTalk] dumbing down...extra class test

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Sun Jul 24 15:09:22 EDT 2005

> I believe you will find the "outright hostility" you speak
of may come from
> the other side of the aisle as well.  The impatience of a
"NOW" generation
> can make being a good mentor a real challenge.
>
> Bob W7KD

> From: "D. Scott MacKenzie" <kb0fhp at comcast.net>
> > Part of the problem is that the older hams want to have
nothing to do with
> > the younger kids - there is no mentoring at all.  In
many cases, it is
> > outright hostility.  The older, more experienced hams
tend to exclude the
> > younger because of a large variety of reasons -
impatience, long hair,
> > etc.

Read page 60 of the August QST. Packet, Pactor, and NVIS

There we find an example of a young Ham being very critical
of an older Ham Elmer about antenna construction. The young
Ham very clearly doesn't have any idea what he is talking
about, he's just repeating misinformation.

By the way, old Hams have long hair. Young Hams have shaved
heads and body piercing. Let's get our generational
stereotyping correct  ;-)

Seriously, not learning or being cocky isn't a generational
problem. Not teaching people basics or wanting to learn
basics or earn our way into something is a social problem.

When I first went into a certain lodge, I had to completely
learn the steps by heart. Today the very same group passes
new people even if they make a mess of things. Ham radio is
no different than any other fraternity.