[TowerTalk] Bolts - Another Favorite Topic

Bob Kellow robskel at comcast.net
Sun Jul 24 14:14:21 EDT 2005

Gary:
Looks to me like those "special" bolts have a nice "serated" shoulder to
make a press fit into the steel tower legs so that there is minimal movement
available between the two sections. Good design. The other side of the joint
would bear (if at all) on the threaded part. Not so good.
I would recommend you get SS bolts of the same diameter as the tower leg
hole (as tight a fit as you can get  even if you have to tap it lightly to
get it home), with the correct shank length to place the bearing surface
against the shank on both sides of the leg. The heads should be marked
"F593C" for the maximum strength SS bolt. These are available from the
better hardware stores or on-line hardware companies. You can then use nylon
insert nuts (and flat washers if needed to make sure the shank remians
correctly spaced) to hold the bolt securely in place. This would make a
joint that is stronger than the original, IMO.
Of course if you do not plan to place a significant load on the tower, that
may be over kill.

Good luck es 73s

Bob, W5LT