[TowerTalk] stealth antenna---initial report

Jim Jarvis jimjarvis at comcast.net
Fri Jul 29 17:53:28 EDT 2005

TT:

Have taken receipt of the 1/8" kevlar/dacron line from
radio works.  This is mil-spec olive drab stuff, which is
rated at 7700 lbs breaking strength, and is about the same
diameter as the insulated wire in my "stealth" carolina windom.

Tested the instal. at the MD house (for sale)....with plans to
deploy early at the NJ house (on contract).

Gametracker string, rated at 17lbs, easily pulled up the Kevlar
line, even though it's somewhat stiffer than the pure dacron line
I'd previously used as a 'pilot' line.

General comments:  This stuff is invisible, as compared with the
1/4" double braided dacron which I'd previously used.  They both are
rated for the same breaking strength, although the Kevlar doesn't
flex.

Initial conclusion:  easy up.  easy on the eyes.  Needs strain relief
at the ends, for the long haul.  For snaking wires through MULTIPLE
trees....(who had that 4 square snaking problem??)....this is the gnats
fuzzy.

Next report:  When I strike this antenna at end Sept.  Will report abrasion
after striking.   Will re-deploy in NJ, with multiple trees within which to
snake, and likely dangling ends.  (oh, boy....suburbia)

Since the wire is insulated, and the line itself is an insulator, there are
no end insulators....smooth transitions....and can pull things over and
through
trees.  Not intented for long term installation.   We'll see.

OH...for sale:  2100 sq. ft. house on 24,000 sq. ft. corner lot with 80'
high
trees, and deepwater slip in a chesepeake hurricane hole, park and swimming
pool
a 60 second walk away.  Easily fits an 80m halfwave @ 80'.  It will be
listed
for sale in mid August.  See me for details if you're a ham who loves the
water.
Play your cards right, and I'll throw in the matched pair of sailing
dinghys.
Completely updated infrastructure.  Good bones.  Nice neighborhood.

N2EA
jimjarvis at ieee.org