[TowerTalk] End feeding a half-wave vetical

Jim Smith jimsmith at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 1 03:24:59 EDT 2005

I want to end-feed a half wave vertical so I can get a nice low angle of
radiation.  The base of the antenna would be about 0.05 to 0.10
wavelengths above ground.  It looks like the antenna impedance will be
around 4,000 ohms.  I would prefer not to use tuned circuits or stubs as
I would like the device to work over a 2:1 frequency range.  (No, I'm
not expecting the antenna to be a half wave over a 2:1 frequency range!!
I would have 2 different antennas to choose from.)  Power level is 200W.

I was thinking that an auto-transformer with a 9:1 turns ratio would do
the job and provide a reasonably low SWR for 50 ohm coax.  I figure on
making the primary winding reactance about 500 Ohms at the lowest
frequency of interest and adding 8 times as many turns for the
secondary, presumably all on a suitable toroid.  The wire insulation
would have to be suitable to withstand several hundred volts.

The auto-transformer would also nicely solve the static drain problem.

Am I nuts or is this actually feasible?

If it isn't, my next step would be to look into stubs.

73 de Jim Smith   VE7FO