[TowerTalk] Motor Vehicle hoiste

Gene Bigham jbigham2 at kc.rr.com
Wed Jun 1 11:21:32 EDT 2005

OK. all this talk has got me curious.  I have a two section aluma tower T150, 50 foot extended, 25 foot nested, which weighs about 80-90 lbs, with an Alliance rotator on the outside of the upper section, then an 8 foot piece of irrigation tube above the rotator with an A3S on 2 foot above the rotator, and a Cushcraft 4 element 440 and 2 meter combo on the top of the 8 foot mast.
Weight for the A3S is 27 lbs.
Mast (what?) 5 lbs.
Vhf/Uhf is 1.8 lbs.

So, to put this tower up, we walked it into place on a hinged base.  Got squirrelly about 2/3 of the way up but got it into place.

Now I have a winch that is designed for at least 2500 lbs and has two way brake.  Will it withstand this force?

Thanks in advance.

Gene Bigham