[TowerTalk] Antenna Hangover

Roger K8RI on Tower k8ri-tower at charter.net
Thu Jun 2 15:16:57 EDT 2005

As many have already said, It depends on where you live.
Some states, or locals say you do own the air above, the Feds say you do not
and neither state nor local laws may pre-empt that.  There are a bunch of
nuts out East trying to prevent airplanes from even flying through the air
above their town as they are claiming ownership.

OTOH there is a whole nuther bag of worms about adjacent property and
overhang which has often been confused with the "air above" and again it
varies from location to location.  Here it gets a bit confusing.  If my
neighbor has an apple tree with a branch over my yard, I may pick those
apples.<:-)) OTOH we have "set back" rules for structures and a tower is
considered a structure.  It must be located so should it fall no part of it
may fall on the neighbors's property.  BUT I may receive written permission
from said neighbor to put up one that could. What happens if the neighbor
sells?  I don't know, but not falling on the neighbor's property is a
longggg way from overhanging. <:-))  Strangely enough, they do not consider
the antennas and masts at the top of the tower to be part of the structure
*here*.  (Here being just West of Midland Mi)

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com