[TowerTalk] mast/motor loading

WD4K WD4K2 at Charter.net
Wed Jun 8 17:58:09 EDT 2005

An interesting method using the ammeter to determine load. I bought a new
Tic Ring and when it was assembled it was WAY out of round, the teeth were
all different lengths, messy galvanizing etc. I rebuilt it on a section of
Rohn 55 on the ground, ground down the teeth one at a time, took two days
with a grinder to redo the framework and then (the point here) I placed an
80Lb bag of sacrete on the cradle to simulate the C31 XR yagi load and used
a mechanic stethescope to listen to the motor as it turned. ANY loading
whatsoever was very apparent and allowed me to file, grind and align those
culprit areas. Since the motor itself had no give to it so to speak, it
required retooling in the framework and gear teeth when indicated by the
stress, using the scope, it turned out really well, went up and has been
flawless for 3 years now. SO, try the stethescope and you will be amazed
what it will tell you about loading up a motor/rotor. 73, Tommy WD4K