[TowerTalk] painting tower...a second thought why not

Cqtestk4xs@aol.com Cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Thu Jun 16 15:31:45 EDT 2005

As someone who buys used tower, I try to stay away from painted tower.
Unless painted tower is FAA red/white, it's something I am suspect of.  Guys love
to hide imperfections of tower under a one micron layer of Rustoleum.

If you are thinking of selling the tower someday, there are others out there
who feel the same way.  Used tower that is otherwise clean will usually sell
for less if it has paint on it........good paint job or not.

As far as painting tower that is new to prolong its life......why guild the
lilly?  Unless you live in a very corrosive area like the seashore, you will be
a QCWA member long before any rust shows up.  I bought some Rohn 45 new back
in the early 80s and now it is having the lightest surface rust (more of a
stain) come up.  Hell, if I live to be 90 the rust may start to be a lot more
noticeable, but by then I'll be forgetting why I put the tower up in the first
place.

Bill K4XS