[TowerTalk] folded radials

Dinsterdog@aol.com Dinsterdog at aol.com
Thu Jun 16 22:45:58 EDT 2005

I was not sure how folded radials would work in my small backyard while
installing my radial system for my W9AD vertical multiband phase system.   On
antenna one, I had 20 radials working well that were buried averaging around  30
feet.  Without much room, you may recall from earlier postings I could  only
fan out the radials in a 40 degree space away from the antenna in my yard,  all
in the same direction going east.

On the second antenna, I could not risk digging up my yard cutting up my
existing radials so I simply took a radial from it and tied into the existing
system.  Then I used 10 folded radials, buried, along the side of my house  and
parts of my yard and fence line where I knew I had not placed any radials  and
the results were excellent.  These radials averaged around 60 feet in
length.  Folded in all sorts of contortions.

My bandwidth on the first vertical went from around 80Khz down to 65Khz and
the SWR at resonance rose up. Since this was the antenna I had for past
reference, it was the one used to measure the difference.  I also measured  my
impedance at the antenna feed point which dropped 7 ohms from it's previous
reading.

Once the system is up and running, I'll let you know who it is  working.  Of
note, I am using the Cushcraft 8040V verticals.  They are  ok but suffer from
QC issues.  You need to have some patients in building  these things and I
don't think they are built to have a long survival  rate.  They also go whacko in
rain or snow so if you live wet area, you  might consider the Butternut
HF2V's.  I'm off the subject but I'm still  pulling out fiberglass splinters from
building these antennas.

No need to respond unless you want to.  I thought I just throw my two  cents
in about folded radials because I thought they were not all that  effective.
So far for me they have worked great in my little backyard.

73  Paul  N0AH