[TowerTalk] Installing a New Tower - Trylon Titan T200-96'

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Mon Jun 27 23:50:56 EDT 2005

In a message dated 6/27/2005 4:38:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  I went to the City of San Jose Building Permits office on Friday and asked
About the permit process to put up a freestanding 60 ft tower in my back
yard. They said "can't do it" They won't issue tower permits. They told me
That all the towers I see in San Jose are un-permitted. They had heard of
PRB-1 and were in talks with the ARRL.

>  They implied that I should "do what everyone else does".

    That's right. Get a copy of the ARRL tower information (I don't know what
the nomenclature of it is - sorry). Get a copy of K1VR's incredible book on
towers and zoning, permit, etc. issues. Get a copy of the building codes.
Contact your ARRL representative.

    You don't have any real questions or perspective yet. Do your homework
with the above and THEN head to the building department.

    I know that K6KR screwed things up some years ago so there are
restrictions but you should be able to do it by jumping thru all the hoops. Also the
ham-law reflector is good when you get to the point of having specific questions
- that's where are the legal eagles hang out.

    LXC Prime Building Department Directive: Find one person in the
department who is either sympathetic or knowledgeable or both and stick with them. If
you talk to 3 different people in the building department you'll wind up with 3
different interpretations. Talk to other local hams who have gone thru the
process and talk to them - especially if they can give you a name of someone in
the building department.

Cheers & GL,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH