[TowerTalk] Tree where base will be

Jim Rhodes k0xu at iowadsl.net
Tue Jun 28 01:03:15 EDT 2005

This is a question that I do not remember seeing here, and a couple of
searches in the archives doesn't come up with anything quite like it
either. I am planning on putting up an HDX-555 tower next year, but the
spot where I want it to go is now occupied by a big old maple tree. The
tree & it's mate have to go anyway as we are adding on to the house at
about the same time. I am looking for advice on: whether to plant the tower
right over the spot where the trunk is; plant the tower next to where the
stump will be left; or avoid the spot entirely. I know the manufacturer
says "undisturbed soil", is a spot with tree roots slowly rotting away in
it considered "undisturbed". And if either through the stump or beside it
are OK, How have others dealt with the LARGE roots when digging the hole?

Thanks for the benefit of the group experience here.

Jim Rhodes K0XU
jim at rhodesend.net

Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone.