[TowerTalk] Installing a New Tower

Phil Camera kb9cry at comcast.net
Tue Jun 28 11:22:09 EDT 2005

To those veterans of this reflector sri abt being a broken record but I feel compelled again to state my opinion.

First my response to these types of opinions,

"All that being said, if <city name> doesn't say it's ILLEGAL and they are  more or less willing to look the other way, I would begin construction
 today. Forgiveness is almost always easier to get than permission."

is, Yea Right.  Are these folks or you who may be considering this course of action, willing to take the tower down or pay big legal bucks if you're wrong?  Go to the HamLaw reflector and ask the legal experts their opinions on this.  I know what they will all advise.

"so I don't need a permit of any kind"? They said "no not needed".

When I moved to unincorporated Will County, this is what the permit folks concluded also.  My contention was then and is still now that even though your local ordinances may specifically not require a permit for a tower, most do require a permit to install structural concrete (that's concrete with structural reinforcing in it).  All towers will have structural concrete and therefore you should be able to obtain a permit for this alone.  That's what happened with me; I was very insistent on obtaining a permit from the county.  Building inspectors inspect concrete; that's what they live for!  The neighboring city is encroaching and one day I'll be glad I installed my towers (legally) since the city has very restrictive tower ordinances and I'll save myself legal fees by being grandfathered in.  The electrical department decided to chime in on my permit process (for a fee of course) since there was electrical going to the rotator.  I had already won the war so chose not to fight
  that battle (low voltage only).  Good luck.  When in doubt solicit expert help (be careful of using this reflector for conclusive advice).  Phil  KB9CRY