[TowerTalk] wires in trees

Jim Jarvis jimjarvis at comcast.net
Tue Jun 28 12:06:49 EDT 2005

I agree that it is better to keep the wire out of the tree,
if you can.  Pulling it vertical for some distance is a viable
technique.  On the other hand,  if it proves unworkable, or
results in too much height forfeit, I haven't hesitated to let
the thing lay over the top of the tree.  Thusfar, I haven't
set any trees on fire.  :)

Incidentally, extending the dipole to 132', to get it to halfwave
on 80m may make it hard to tune on 40 and up.  Having it non-resonant is
an advantage, in the multi-band situation.  Particularly if you'll
be running higher power.  The matching solution for the resonant
antenna will vary widely across bands...running the risk of balun
damage, among other things.

n2ea
jimjarvis at ieee.org