[TowerTalk] ...Compressed Air Driven Tower

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 30 00:33:37 EDT 2005

At 08:43 PM 6/29/2005, Wes Attaway (N5WA) wrote:
>Those things can only be used with the old Moonraker antennas.
>You mount the antenna on the tower, apply suitable air pressure,
>and the tower shoots the antenna up into the lower stratosphere.

More seriously, those things are pretty cool. There are several
manufacturers of them.  They use them for news vans as well.  Do you have
any information on the air pressure and volume required (some are fairly
low pressure, high volume.. others are high pressure, low volume).

Properly maintained, they'll cycle up and down several times a day for
years. They're also pretty fast (as in seconds to extend).

What they may not have is a huge amount of sideload capability, especially
while extending or retracting.  The ones I've seen have been designed for a
top load of a few square feet (maybe 6-7).  Maybe some fairly low windage
thing like a spider beam or a telerana would be appropriate.