[TowerTalk] Mid-sized beam and 80M vertical suggestions

Peter Dougherty (W2IRT) w2irt at nac.net
Thu Jun 30 12:12:04 EDT 2005

Hi guys,

I'm about a month or two away from my first tower and beam. While I have
some questions on grounding that I will ask in another thread, I'm looking
for ideas on antennas.

For the higher bands (20 and up) I think I've found a good compromise
between good DX performance and sleeping in the dog-house <g>. The Force12
C-19 looks pretty good on paper but I've never talked to anybody who's had
one. Can anybody give me a thumbs-up or thumbs-down on this antenna?

My original thought was a 4 element SteppIR, then a C-31XR, but neither of
those got past the War Department, so I'm down to something a little more
modest. Other than the C-19, what others should I consider?

Long-haul DX from Northern NJ is my primary goal here (I'm sitting at 267
worked, so it's Southest Asia and the Indian Ocean that I need the most). I
need something that will get through, as loudly as possible, within the
constraints of the boom and element length described above. Can this be
accomplished with the C-19 (or something equivalent)? I'm on about 1/3 of
an acre in a residential neighbourhood.

Also, 80M DXing is rapidly becoming a favourite winter's passion. I've had
good luck (and an 80M DXCC) with a flat-top dipole at 35', fed with 45' of
cheap RG-8X and 500W but I'd like to go a little better in the new QTH.
Should I consider a vertical instead of a dipole or vee, and if so, what
are your recommendations? I've heard some OK things about the Butternut
HF2V, some bad things about the Force12 Sigma 80 and a friend who raves
about the massively-priced Titanex verticals.

Thanks in advance.

73 de Peter (W2IRT)
w2irt at arrl.net

Please visit http://www.nyctrackbook.com for details of my book