[TowerTalk] substandard aluminum?

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Tue Mar 1 22:14:10 EST 2005

Dean had a pair of the 29 foot boom model - one at 90', and the other
at 180'. When I went up there, my expectation was that I would be the
loudest guy on the band (there weren't many 40 meter stacks in
those days). The real performance was a big disappointment. I felt
like I was running 100 watts to a dipole at 30 feet that weekend. One
potential problem was the guy wires for that big tower. They weren't
broken up at all, so the pattern may have been a mess. Nothing like
starting out with a mediocre antenna and then making it worse with
resonant guy wires. Oddly enough, however, Dean also had  a pair
of Hy-Gain 204BA's on that same tower (one at 60' and another at
120'). That stack seemed to work really well. Perhaps the guy wires
weren't resonant on 20 meters or something. Of course, it could
have been the operator too. I did 40 meters and KU8E did 20
meters :)