[TowerTalk] amplifiers for phased arrays

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 6 22:42:45 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Nielsen" <nielsen at oz.net>
To: "'Towertalk'" <towertalk at contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 6:10 PM
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] amplifiers for phased arrays

> On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 12:08:39PM -0800, Jim Lux wrote:
> > As for why "I" am doing this.. It's something I've been pursuing for the
> > last 10 years, and is tangentially related to my professional work (the
> > following links might work)
> > http://rtd.jpl.nasa.gov/reports/rtd04/report.html
> > http://rtd.jpl.nasa.gov/reports/rtd04/pdfs/R04026011.pdf  <<my work
> >

> Unfortunately, there is no response from that site.

The stuff there has been released for public distribution, but perhaps that
site hasn't. I'll ask.
In the mean time: http://www.luxfamily.com/jimlux/R04026011.pdf should work

> Assuming from the URL that you have some NASA connection, you might be
> able to locate some possibly relevant information on the phased arrays
> used on the ATS-1 and -3 satellites.  I worked on the ATS-1 VHF repeater
> and its 8-coaxial dipole cylindrical phased array at Hughes Aircraft
> about 40 years ago but don't recall how much of the antenna details
> ended up being documented in the reports which were submitted to NASA.

I'll take a look.  There's also the possibility that the report is filed
away in some archive to be studied by "top men" (you've all seen "Raiders of
the Lost Ark"... )