[TowerTalk] KT43XA/KT36XA Rebuild

smith.l@mchsi.com smith.l at mchsi.com
Mon Mar 7 20:40:47 EST 2005

I recently completed rebuilding and upgrading my old KT34XA to a KT36XA and have
encountered a problem that I need help with. This is the 5th time I have updated
this antenna since I got it in 1980 and mechanically it is much better than
previous versions.

My problem is with the SWR on 15 meters. It is 1.8:1 across the band while 20M
and 10M are virtually flat from end to end. SWR was checked on sawhorses and I
figured it would improve on top of the tower. I was wrong-it remained 1.8:1. We
lowered it back down and remeasured everything, rechecked all elements, etc.,
and found nothing out of whack. It is assembled correctly and all elements are
oriented properly.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I am sure it has to be something
simple that I am overlooking but if any of you could point me in the right
direction it will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Larry Smith, N4FD