[TowerTalk] Computer control antenna switch

Richard Thorne rmthorne at cox.net
Wed Mar 9 11:47:39 EST 2005

Hi Wayne:

I'm currently using a microham band decoder from http://www.microham.com
for antenna control.  It has the ablity to control several switches
including the Ameritron (I use a dx engineering 8 port switch).  I use
one for my remote controlled station.  It connects between the rig and
pc and decodes the bands from either the rig by itself or from your
computer logging software.

For rotor control check out N8LP's software.  You'll still need a
computer controllable rotor like a Yaesu or maybe a Hygain rotor.  I use
a Hygain Tailtwister with an idiom press serial device.  Check out
http://www.telepostinc.com/n8lp.html and http://www.idiompress.com/.
Since your using TRX-Manager it has a built driver for rotor control,
thats what I use.

I use the remote control capabilities of TRX-Manager to control
everything from home via TCP/IP and http://www.skype.com for audio.

I'm curious why you want to use an LPT port for control?  Is it due to a
lack of com ports?  I use two com ports for my remote station, do you
have an extra one for rotor control?  Since your rig is already
connected to a com port, you won't need another one for the microham
device since its in series between the rig and pc.

I'm going to be out of town for the next two days and will be able to
reply to any other questions upon my return.

73,

Rich - N5ZC