[TowerTalk] Ground Loop

WarrenWolff@aol.com WarrenWolff at aol.com
Sun Mar 13 22:46:46 EST 2005

Hello TT’ers.

I have had great responses to previous posts;  so  here
goes with a new one.

My new home at Lake Havasu City AZ will have a  buried
peripheral ground wire to which my SPG will be tied via a
short  copper strap.  The SPG will also be exothermically
welded to six (6) 20  foot radials with eight (8) foot copper
ground rods at their center and  ends.  Two of the radials
are currently aligned exactly with the  peripheral wire.

Should I just use the peripheral wire and forget those
two  radials?

Now, picture this: The house, and hence the peripheral  wire,
as a rectangle.  The SPG is located approximately 35 feet  south
of the northwest corner of the rectangle.  The tower is  located
at the northwest corner of the rectangle - - about 10 feet  away
because of the size of the foundation.  AC power is  programmed
to enter the operating room via the SPG as well as the  coax
and other lies such as TELCO, Cable TV, rotator control,  etc.

The tower will also have an array of seven (7) each, 20  foot
radials, with eight (8) foot ground rods at the tower, ten (10)
feet  out, and at their ends.

Commercial power will “arrive” at the house very near  the
northeast corner of the house.  The distance, line  of
sight, from the SPG to the main breaker box is about
fifty (50)  feet.  The remainder of the residence will be
served AC power as would any other home.

NW                                                               NE

TOWER_____________________________
I                                                    I
I                                                    I
I                                                    I  COMM
              I                                                   I   AC  PWR
I                                                    I  <----
I                                                    I
SPG       I                                                    I
 --->       I                                                    I
I                                                   I

I just hit my feeble mind that if I connected the AC power
ground to the peripheral wire at it nearest point, I will
be creating some kind of loop that can intercept the EMP
from a lightning stroke.

What do you folks advise??

Regards,
     Warren Wolff