[TowerTalk] Help in planning a new QTH

Peter Dougherty (W2IRT) w2irt at nac.net
Mon Mar 14 23:14:53 EST 2005

Hi guys,

I'm new to the reflector and relatively-new to HF DXing and I'd be very
grateful for some assistance in the field of choosing the best components,
planning, etc, for later this year.

The short version is that for the last 4 years I've lived on the top floor
of a 3-story building in Queens, NY, and with a LOT of luck from a helpful
building super and landlord, I've been able to erect two dipoles -- each
suspended by ropes off vent pipes on the roof of the building. I've had
modest success with these (3 cards on 80 shy of my 5B DXCC), but with any
luck, later this year I'll be moving into a new QTH in Norwalk, CT and the
idea is to create a station that will be as strong as possible on a modest
sized suburban lot. My goal in all this is not to create a contest super
station, just something that will hopefully vault me onto the Honor roll in
reasonable time and boost my country count on 80 considerably.

Since we're in the very early stages of house-hunting I obviously don't
have property specs or land elevation details, but what I'm trying to get a
sense of is what models of antennae I should be looking at, tower types,
cost, etc. I intend to run everything from 10-160 (if lot size allows;
10-80 if not), and my sole focus is DX, and specifically the ability to put
(and pull) signals to/from Asia. Essentially everything on the map between
Iran and Hong Kong <grin>. I'd also like to have something that would give
me a shot at the snaring the ultra-difficult southern Indian Ocean islands
(i.e. like Kerguelen and Crozet, neither or which I even have a faint hope
of hearing this time 'round).

The one rub to all this is whatever I put up has to not freak out an
otherwise-tolerant XYL. I'd thought a 55 footer with a single SteppIR
4-element (plus a VEE or sloper for the low bands) was the best way to go,
but in chatting with another esteemed list-member, that thought was
essentially dismissed so I'm back to square one. I don't think a monstrous
house-plus-sized multi-element yagi will pass XYL-muster, nor will a 75'
tower...not to mention the crap I'm likely to face from somewhat rich and
likely locally-powerful neighbours in that part of the world.

As I said at the outset, I'm pretty green to all of this and what may be
old-hat to you is brand new to me, so I do beg your indulgence. Thanks in
advance!

73,

Peter,
W2IRT