[TowerTalk] Was: Getting antennas into the shack. Now: SO2R antennaswitching

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Tue Mar 15 01:56:48 EST 2005

I would recommend a look at <http://www.qth.com/topten/apnote1.htm> which
explains how this works.  Their A/B selectors have one excellent feature
which is unique so far as I know, a hardware lockout to prevent
inadvertently "stealing" an antenna from a radio that is already using
it.  Once one radio has commanded the A/B switch for a particular antenna
to either A or B, applying a control voltage to the other terminal will not
cause it to switch until the first radio releases it.

I am using W9XT's very inexpensive (<$20) band decoder PC board
<http://www.unifiedmicro.com/decoder.html> to control a Top Ten relay box,
and both have been very satisfactory.

Finally,  the free N1MM Logger <www.n1mm.com> provides programmable control
signals through a parallel port or ports, which can be used with W9XT band
decoders (or any others) to control up to 10 antenna selections per
transceiver.  For example, you can have high and low 40M antennas and
select between them from the keyboard.  Very neat.

73, Pete N4ZR