[TowerTalk] steppIR Gain--test method

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Wed Mar 16 18:08:40 EST 2005

I was looking at the picture and drawing of the test setup on the web
site. They do not show any type attenuator in the drawing.

Even making a differential measurement, trying to read to 1db on a log
scale with 10db per division is not realistic. You just can't "eyeball"
it that close. Especially if you can't switch back and forth between the
two signals. Let alone giving tenth of a db gain specs out of those
measurements.

Using the vernier db attenuator on the 141, if it has not been
calibrated the linearity can be off without too much trouble for making
those kind of accuracy measurements. That adds to the error.

It is also easy for the log scale on those to have errors if they are
not properly calibrated. Not saying that theirs was not but who knows.

The biggest error on the analyzer would come from trying to eyeball the
same screen position on the 10 db scale.

I assumed that they used the log scale and not the linear scale, which
would be easier to eyeball for the same spot. But since no attenuator
was shown the log scale would have to have been used.

By the way if you look at the picture of the test site closely on the
right side it looks like a set of large guy wires for a large tower or
power line? Not good for a test range.

My whole point is that giving gain specs to a tenth of a db with a super
test setup would even be iffy let alone all the obvious errors at first
glance here.

73
Gary  K4FMX