[TowerTalk] 40 meters

BobK8IA@aol.com BobK8IA at aol.com
Fri Mar 18 00:23:40 EST 2005

In a message dated 3/17/05 10:12:44 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
tom at klient.com writes:

I've  never operated from MI so I'm not familiar with the propogation there.
But,  from here in southwest Virginia, my best shot to southeast Asia is
often on  the long path, particularly around December, where our dusk is in
synch  with their dawn.

I can work into that area during our dawn as well, but  the west coast
stations often still have a better shot at them than I  do.  Using the long
path at our dusk, it is still 3 hours before the  west coast sunset... they
won't be competing in the 40m  pileups.

Tom;

Respectfully, there is no way you an touch the west coast guys into JA/SE
Asia on 40m. Here in AZ, we dont need to rely on the afternoon long path to be
in those pileups. Why? Because we have 8 to 10 hrs of JA short path openings
every night. During CQWW CW last fall I worked almost 900 q's on 40m and 460
of  them were JA's. I dont think you'll be doing that JA volume from W1-land,
hi.Its  our bread and butter here, as far as contest volume goes.

OTOH, Eu runs here are not anything like you experience. I've operated both
coasts and in the middle. Location, location.

73, Bob  K8IA
nr The Superstition Mtns
Arizona, USA