[TowerTalk] lightning & trees

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mts.net
Thu Mar 17 22:17:52 EST 2005

It seems to me the answer lies in the unpredictability of the "best path."

You have to look at that equation in four dimensions: co-ordinate geometry
set against time.

Variations in humidity and wind currents mean that at any given second, the
"best path" may not be what it appears to be ** at that moment **.

As well, if a charge builds up 10 feet from a tree, adding the ground
resistance to the tree's resistance may mean that moving through the ground
to the tree and into the air isn't the path of least resistance, just going
straight into the air may be.

Remember also how much larger plate spacing in an air capacitor must be to
prevent arcing vs. some other kind of membrane.

73, kelly
ve4xt