[TowerTalk] Tower "Electrical Height"?

Steve Mendelsohn, W2ML adam77 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 20 09:12:53 EST 2005

doc wrote:

>Do AM-BC stations use ground radials?

Do they ever!  But ground mats combined with "the stick"
have to form a pattern as coverage is a function of the coverage
area granted by their FCC license.

Having worked on WABC-AM, a 50 KW clear channel plant, I can
tell you that  there is one hell of a big copper ground mat underneath
the stick at Lodi, NJ, as I've dealt with the plans and the ground mat.

And if a ham thinks he has near-field problems with a 2 transmitter
situation
you ought to try dealing with the near-field of a 50 KW AM system.

ABC-TV's field shop was at the base of the AM transmitter and we had a
heck of a time RF proofing the audio consoles in the production trucks
that do
golf, ice skating and Monday Night Football when they were housed at Lodi.

They worked well on the road, but in the truck bays, they had to have RF
bypassing on everything.

-73- Steve, W2ML
Senior Systems Engineer
ABC-TV