[TowerTalk] Feeding a Quad

CubexCo@aol.com CubexCo at aol.com
Thu Mar 24 16:29:26 EST 2005

Bob,
The problem to be solved when feeding a multi-band quad is matching the
impedance that each band presents.  Typically 20m will range from 50 to 75 ohms,
15m 75 to 90 ohms and 10m typically is about 100 to 110 ohms.  These numbers can
vary depending on element spacing and dimensions.   The preferred method of
feeding a quad is with individual feed lines for each band, remotely switched.
This permits using odd quarter wave 75 ohm series matching cables for a 2:1
transformation, and combinations of 75 ohm (or cabe with other characteristics)
and 50 ohm cable to achieve a broad range of impedance matching (see series
matching in ARRL antenna book).

Gain is the least likely characteristic of the antenna affected by the
matching system.  Front to back, depth of side nulls, and bandwidth are more likely
to be compromised.

Cubex also has available a matching transformer with three balanced outputs
for 10, 15, and 20m.  We do feed 17m common with 20m and 12m with 10m with
acceptable results.  There definitely is degradation in operational bandwidth, and
other characteristics, but it is a simple cost effective method of feeding up
to 5 bands with one coaxial cable.

Regard integrating a 6m antenna, that works but I suggest if you have a boom
at least 8ft long that you consider 4 elements on 6m.  Remember odd number
element arrays always puts one element very near the center and that can be a
problem with physical interference the the antenna supporting structure.

Regards,
Norman W4QN
From: "Bob T." <bobt at gloryroad.net>
Subject: [TowerTalk] QUAD FEEDING

I'm ready to put a Lightning Bolt 2 element, 20/15/10m quad up at 80ft. I
want to do this right the first time, and get the best reasonable performance
from the antenna. Lightning Bolt supplies a 2:1 balun for a common feedpoint. The
owner of the company sez this is the best way to feed the antenna for max
performance, anyone who sez otherwise is wrong. But...he can't supply figures or
pattern pics. Others favor the gamma match method, but still I haven't seen
any concrete evidence that this is the best way. (believe me, I've scoured the
web) Still others say a common feed point (feed line)is just no good; the only
way to go is seperate feedlines for each band. Still no facts or figures to
back up this claim. I am primarily concerned with maximum forward gain and a
fairly good pattern. I won't quibble over .5-1.0 db or so. If it makes any
difference, I am also interested in integrating a 3 element 6 meter quad on the same
boom. (seperate feed) and/or mounting a loaded 40 mete
r dipole along the boom of the quad. So, who has the facts? Please, no
educated guesses or second hand anectdotes. Thanks

Regards,
Cubex Sales

"The Power of a Cubex Quad"

http://www.cubex.com/