[TowerTalk] Tapered tower hazer

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 25 12:42:24 EST 2005

At 09:14 AM 3/25/2005, Mike Maddox wrote:

>Is there such a thing as a hazer that would work on an AN Wireless
>tower? (or any other tapered tower, I suppose.)
>
>Alan NV8A
>

>I don't if any are available commercially, but I did build one once.  I used
>boat rollers on a linkage that moved in on the tower as it moved up the
>taper.  Worked well for several years, the operator passed away, and I don't
>know what happen to it, the tower, or his equipment.

One might check companies that sell BIG flagpoles, steeplejack supplies,
and rigging.
For instance, they make something that looks much like a hazer for running
up and down theatrical truss work in road shows, and that handles tapers,
steps, etc.  There's also something that crawls up steel I-beams for
construction sites, and it can handle things like bolts sticking out.
Sailboats have tapered masts, some well over 100 ft tall. There's an
amazing variety of interesting specialized widgets for this kind of
thing.  However, I would expect that it isn't cheap.