[TowerTalk] QUAD FEEDING

Joe Giacobello k2xx at swva.net
Sat Mar 26 10:21:54 EST 2005

Bob, Lew McCoy discussed this issue in his review of the Lightning Bolt
quad in CQ some time back.  W4RNL (LB Cebik) confirmed Lew's
observations by modeling common feed point multi-band quads and
presented his data and results in (I believe) the 7th volume of the
Antenna Compendium.  The bottom line is that there is a severe
interaction between the 20 and 10M driven elements which results in a
severe deterioration of gain and F/B on 10M.  The other bands were OK.

Personally, I prefer separate feeds and use an Ameritron switch to
select each of the five bands on my quad.

You ought to read Cebik's article and consult his website for other
reliable info on quad performance and construction.

73, Joe