[TowerTalk] antioxidation grease

N4VHA n4.vha at computeralarm.com
Tue Mar 29 22:30:00 EST 2005

The first time I used a compound called 'NO=OX' was when I was experiencing trouble receiving on my TS440s.  I took loose the miniature RCA connectors in the receive section, found what appeared to be tarnish.  I cleaned the connectors real good with a brass brush and liberally applied NO-OX.  It made a tremendous improvement in the receive.  Next I found that I was having some RF in my transmit.  I found the same oxidation on the PL259's, cleaned them real well, added a little solder to make the connection tight then liberally added NO-OX to the center and particularly to the threaded areas.  All RF disappeared unless I was over driving the audio and no SWR or loss was found.  Yes it makes since to be liberal with the application and it also is apparent that a tight connection is achieved since the oxidation compound if conductive is only conductive in micron dimensions.   A good friend of mine made another good suggestion to me and that is use a good tape like 3M-33 first then use electricians putty then tape again.  The best part of the tape first is that if you want to take it off it comes off easier.  The only problem is that the putty has to extend below and above the 33 electrician tape to get a good weather seal.  Now think about this if you don't use the antioxidation compound and you don't have a tight connecting and the connection has any loose connection, in a high power situation (particuallary) you will build up carbon that will cause all kinds of stray noise that you don't want to hear.  I may not have covered it all here but I thought you might like to hear my experience.