[TowerTalk] Wet setting conduit?

Gene Smar ersmar at comcast.net
Wed Mar 30 13:51:01 EST 2005

Craig:

     I've seen this done on many of my projects when I designed electrical
power distribution substations for a power company.  Typically this
technique is used when one crew installs facilities like underground
cable-in-conduit systems encased in concrete within the substation proper,
and another crew continues the conduit system underground to the next
station.  This is exactly what your contractor is proposing.

    I would caution, however, against installing too many of these embedded
conduit sweeps in the tower base.  Without doing the math, it would seem to
me that too many (number is open to discussion/debate/calculation) such
columns of air within the concerete mass might jeopardize the mechanical
strength of the base itself.  Caveat Amateur!

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F