[TowerTalk] polyrod

Roger K8RI on Tower k8ri-tower at charter.net
Mon May 2 19:20:37 EDT 2005

> My point exactly. It certainly DOES matter why it failed,
> and it isn't up to customers to guess why.

Agreed

> It could have been heat (they did warn me about heat, but
> said it had to be a lot hotter than I ever would worry
> about), it could have been over-bent (also cautioned me

The summer sun on an unventelated, metal shed may create temperatures beyong
the those necessary for softening the resin (Vinyl Ester, or epoxy).  A
fiberglass airplane with a colored paint job, left outdoors in the summer
sun even in Michigan will get far hotter than necessary to soften the resin.
When this happens to Vinyl Ester Resin it gets really strong and hard after
cooling and it raises the critical temperature by quite a bit.

> about that), but they keep saying storage while coiled isn't
> an issue.

I'd like to see someone run some tests on the stuff.  Acellerated againg,
using heat and UV as well as the appearance of some that has been exposed to
the elements for a few years.

Do they have a site where you can look at the figures for the stuff?
I have not been able to find anything on the web pertaining to polyrod, or
Polygon as far as a guy line.

> I can't do a thing more than ask because the stuff laying
> around here has been in coils laying outside for years and
> is still in perfect shape. It would be a shame to have the
> problem caused by something other than being in a coil and
> not know what the real problem was.

If the stuff is light colored and laying outdoors *probably* the only things
to worry about are UV and moisture.  If the outside is still smooth it
sounds like it's doing well.

> But then I've run into this in other areas (bad electrical
> components like vacuum tubes and capacitors) and seen the
> backlash so maybe I'm more sensitive to requiring accurate
> answers....

Having been a project manager for a large corporation when I retired, I'm
also very sensitive about why something may have failed and the engineering
specs for a product.

It may be the best thing since sliced bread, but I still want to see the
specs and any information on aging and failures.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com