[TowerTalk] Wilson Crankup Tubular Tower Info Request

larryjspammenot@teleport.com larryj at teleport.com
Wed May 4 12:20:25 EDT 2005

I have a chance to pick up what appears to be a Wilson crankup tubular tower from a local estate sale - it looks like it has three - tubular telescoping sections. After looking through the Towertalk archives, I think it must be a Wilson model MT-61 series. The concrete base has some info scratched into it, showing that it was installed in 1979.

I'd be interested to know if there's a site with info for the concrete base requirements, info for replacement threaded rods/J-bolts to go in the concrete base, etc. What's the weight of the tower? We're trying to figure out how to tilt this over safely after releasing the upper house mounting bracket which is up about 10 feet above ground, and determine how many people will be needed to safely lower it, how to lower it, and carry it to a truck for transport to the new QTH.

I'm also assuming that the winch and cables will need to be replaced. Any other major maintenance that would need to be done for a tower like this that has probably been up for 25+ years in the rainy Northwest?

I do have a bunch of .jpg pictures of it available, if anyone has questions.

Thanks,
Larry