[TowerTalk] SWR

earl baillley earlbailley at centurytel.net
Sat May 14 01:03:34 EDT 2005

For years I did without an SWR meter. I seemed to talk to a few people if the band was the least open.Now I have a KW matchbox and I found a magic setting on he left , call it input, capacitor. It stays fixed while i turn the right knob for max with no reference to SWR. I still get to talk to people when the band is a bit more than open.

I think antennas magically reconfigure themselves to make the most efficient use of the power available and somehow include  the qualities of the operator as well.

Maybe one day I dig out of the garage the surplus long wire electrically tuned variable vac/roller coil dingus. I don't rush as I'll talk to more whhich may lead to QRM.

Go into another nifty back in the corner, a Navy mark 7mhz balanced tuner with a variable vac and two BIG 2000 mfd caps.  What in the world would the Navy use a balanced tuner for? I bot it for the caps.

73

Earl W7TK