[TowerTalk] measuring and using the term impedance

k1ttt@arrl.net k1ttt at arrl.net
Mon May 16 07:10:39 EDT 2005

> K7PUC,
>
> Alfred,
>
> Call MFJ.    I used their 259 analyzer which is an  excellent product. Why
> don't you go buy one and a 4080V antenna and  let us all know what you get
> versus your method of measuring  impedance.  Then we all can shop and
> compare.
>

> N0AH

the 259 provides the full complex impedance if i remember right.  by only
reporting the real part you are leaving off half the story.  to better
analyze what is happening you need to record and report the full r+/-jx
impedances.  otherwise you might as well just report swr since you are
throwing away what could be significant information that is the phase
angle part of the impedance.