[TowerTalk] Short Ground Rods??

Red RedHaines at centurytel.net
Thu May 19 20:29:17 EDT 2005

Hi, Jim;

Are you referring to the measurement method published by George Hagn?
Are all the necessary details in the more recent Antenna Books?  My
19th, 15th, and 13the editionsoffer only a general description and do
not include details.

The method published in each of those books is that published by J.
Sevick.  As published, it won't work if plugged into a GFI protected
circuit, and it measures only conductivity, not dielectric constant.  I
modified it by adding a 24 volt transformer to isolate input power from
ground, by omitting the light bulb, and by using conveniently available
resistor values, with the necessary change in the scaling constant to
calculate conductivity.

I'm interested in learning more about Hagn's method, as implemented with
instruments readily available in the ham shack.

Can anyone share more?

73 de WOØW