[TowerTalk] How far from the house?..AND WELL

Larry Emery k1uo at uninets.net
Wed May 25 15:02:20 EDT 2005

Hi Bill,

   My tower is 60ft away from the well casing and my submersible pump.   The
first pump was fried the first time the tower was hit. THEN the electrician
put a
#6 ground wire from the pump casing to the well casing and that ended that
problem forever......at least for the past 32 years!!!
    I would have never believed I needed that ground!

Larry K1UO

"What I prefer even more is to keep them away from my submersible well pump.
100 feet of 4 inch casing appears as a very nice ground to a lightning hit
on
a tower 10 or 20 feet away.  Been there and done that twice at my other QTH
and it cost me $800 both times to replace the pump."

Bill K4XS