[TowerTalk] Weight on rotator?

Al Williams alwilliams at olywa.net
Fri May 27 14:13:56 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: <K7LXC at aol.com>
>    Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I seem to recall that in the
> manual for the Orion 2800 that it says that the weight of the installation
> (mast and antennas) should be directly on the rotator. Is this right? What
> exactly
> does the manual say about this? Your help is appreciated.

My manual, dated rev 12-22-99 for OR2800P-DC states as follows"

1. In the specifications "Vertical Load Capacity 1800 lbs.".

2. In the cutaway drawing "2000 lb thrust bearing for low friction".
     (it doesn't inform if this is a vertical or horizontal rating)

3.  "....We highly recommend that you used the wedge shaped Center Guide on
the positioner...it is also imperative that you securely tighten the CENTER
BOLT ...to the drive plate. This bolt lifts the shaft and output gear to the
proper height inside the positioner.  IF THE bolt IS NOT TIGHTENED
COMPLETELY THE ROTATOR WILL MALFUNCTION"

There is no mention that "the weight should be directly on the rotator".
However #3 is what you may seem to recall.

About two years ago I had a discussion with someone at M2 about the sideways
strength specification of the 2800 because I was planning to install a large
antenna on top of a 20' mast that would stick out 15' above the tower.  My
recollection is that they advised using a thrust bearing at the rotator and
as I recall another thrust bearing at the top of the tower. I can't remember
if this advice had anything to do with the vertical load or not?

k7puc