[TowerTalk] Baluns

ersmar@comcast.net ersmar at comcast.net
Sat Nov 5 01:52:47 EST 2005

Gary:

     I have one of these baluns in the workshop.  Used to use it to feed a 30M inverted V, but took it down a few years ago.

     The lightning arrestor/suppressor is nothing more than a thin piece of aluminum strap that connects the eye-bolt at the top of the PVC shell of the balun (a support rope threads through this eye-bolt) to a ground screw on the SO-239 at the bottom.  Basically a lightning strike will be conducted from the eye-bolt safely to ground through the coax shield, rather than hitting the dipole feedpoint just beneath the eye-bolt.  Or so the theory goes.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F