[TowerTalk] Tree attenuation

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 7 15:15:59 EST 2005

At 10:28 AM 11/7/2005, K7LXC at aol.com wrote:
>Howdy, TowerTalkians --
>
>     Here's an interesting PowerPoint presentation called Effects of Trees on
>Slant Propagation Paths that looks at signal attenuation thru trees. It
>generally covers VHF and above but you can probably make some inferences
>for HF. If
>someone can summarize it for us non-engineering types, I'd appreciate it.
>Tnx.
>(If anyone has info related to HF, please post it. Tnx.)
>
>http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/isart/art99/slides99/vog/vog_s.pdf

There's a more complete version of this at Utexas..
http://www.utexas.edu/research/mopro/
In particular, you might be interested in Chapter 2 and 3

The summary is that at low angles, the attenuation is a function of
distance... a certain number of dB/meter, depending on the kind and density
of trees.

At high angles, the attenuation is a fixed number.. some number of dB.

Polarization is important.. attenuation is higher for V pol

As far as HF goes, it gets quite a bit more complicated(!), for two reasons:

1) The forest scale (height of trees, etc.) is on the same order as the
wavelength  (at VHF, trees are MUCH bigger than a wavelength, and leaves
are MUCH smaller).

2) Most practical applications of a model have the antenna in the forest,
where the forest is in the near field of the antenna.